Sunday, January 24, 2016

Lá Fhéile Bríde (Imbolc) 2016

By Culnacreann CC BY 3.0, via Wikimedia Commons
This is going to be a long post since a lot is going on with me.  Generally, the ritual portion of today's celebration will not be so long, as I like things a little less formal, but must needs this year.  So Lá Fhéile Bríde (Imbolc) is going to be a little more involved than I plan on going forward.  It will also be more than a welcoming of spring and celebration of Brigid; it will be a petition, a renewal, and an oath of study and service.

Also, normally, cleansing and purification would be more one-step.  A combination process of sorts, but I am in need of a deep, deep physical and spiritual cleanse—and have been for some time, really—so, multi-step-multi-day process for me!

Things'll simple up after the day.

Schedule

by James Wells Chimney
Public domain, via Wikimedia Commons
This is a big part of what makes this a multi-day project for me.  I actually started cleaning my bedroom (slowly) back in November. I've spent the last several years ignoring my need to clean.  That, and the fact that everything I own is (was!) shoved into a 10x10 room in my parents house, has contributed to the gods-awful mess that is my life. So in addition to clearing the cobwebs of my own mind, I'm also clearing away the more physical mess that I have collected. By February my bedroom will be cleaned, scrubbed, sanded, and painted.

Traditionally, this is the time when Spring Cleaning starts. You would make sure your home was clean and tidy for the day's festivities which include feasting and visiting with friends.

This year, because I am doing such a massive cleaning, and because I want to start with a neutral psychic slate, 48 hours before Lá Fhéile Bríde (which, for me, starts at sundown February 1st), I will place salt in every corner of my room to absorb the energies within.  When the 48 hours are up, the salt will be removed from the house (probably thrown down the drain), and my room will be swept clean. Swept in a deosil (sunwise) direction, of course.

Bake

Or cook or whatever.  Make food.

This year I'll be making a Croatian Honey Cake, which is kind of involved, but it is a holiday, after all.  Also, this cake really needs to be made a day or two before serving, so that'll free up my time a bit on the day.  The cake will be a treat for my family, an offering for the gods and spirits, and, possibly, a bribe for my coworkers the next day.

I will also be making dinner on February 2nd, which will also be used for the same purpose.  Milk, butter, and honey will also be set out for the fairies.

Cleanse Self

First, you'll need a bowl of water with some juniper, rosemary, lavender, or other purifying herb in it.

Then, take a ritual bath or shower.  For me, it has to be a shower since I don't have a tub.  More's the pity.  The shower entails washing, and then using a salt scrub.  I made such a scrub for friends and family this last year for Yule.  Conveniently, I made some for myself as well.

After the shower, purify yourself with this simple ritual1:
  1. Dip your hand into the herb-infused water, touch your forehead, and say: "May I be pure that I might cross through the sacred."
  2. Dip your hand again into the water, touch your lips, and say: "May I cross through the sacred that I might attain the holy."
  3. Dip your hand again, touch your heart, and say: "May I attain the holy that I might be blessed in all things."
Save the bowl of water for later use.  Then . . .

Juniper bush via Wikimedia Commons

Purify Everything

I'm smudging with juniper.  Everything.  Myself, my bedroom, every nook and cranny.  While reciting this:
Chase away the anger, chase away the fear, chase away all the negative that dwells within here.  Welcome to the beautiful, welcome to the pure, welcome all the positive that comes inside the door.
You can also sprinkle the water used for self purification around the room, saying the same thing.  My life's in need of a good metaphysical scrubbing, so I'll probably do both!

Cleanse & Consecrate Tools

This is something that needs to be done on a regular basis, and this holiday is kind of a good fit for it. I will be passing all my tools through the juniper smoke, and what tools can withstand it will be cleansed with the water.  Before your altar/shrine the tool will be named, the purpose of the tool stated, and a blessing will be asked from the gods and spirits.

Now, you may want cast a circle before cleansing and consecrating your tools, in which case you should do the first part of the ritual below before picking up the first tool.  I'm looking at this as more of a house-cleaning act, and less as a ritual; so this year, at least, my tools will be cleansed before the ritual begins.

Petition

Sit or stand in front of your altar/shrine and say a blessing to the three realms:
I stand in the center of the three realms.  The waters of the sea surround me.  The earth is firm under my feet.  The sky stretches above and beyond me.
Light three candles, one for each realm, and say for each:
I light this flame to carry my words to the gods.  I light this flame to carry my words to my ancestors.  I light this flame to carry my words to the spirits of nature.
Now ask the gods, ancestors, and spirits to join you:
I ask that the gods join me, that my ancestors guide me, and that the spirits aide me in this ritual.
Invitation to the gods.  I'll be starting with Hecate (with whom I've had a connection/understanding since childhood) and Manannán mac Lir (whom I have been worshipping for the last year or so), then I'll be calling to the Tuatha Dé Danann:
Hail Hecate, goddess of the three realms: earthly, watery, and celestial, lovely one, I come to you with an open heart.  Hail Manannán, rider of the shining waves, son of the sea, father of mists, bright-eyed and wise, I come to you with an open heart.  Hail to the children of Danu, and Danu herself:
  • Brigid, keeper of the flame, poetry, and crafts
  • Aengus, of love and youth and beauty
  • the Dagda, mighty king
  • Donn, dark one who keeps the dead
  • Dian Cecht, physician and sage
  • Airmid the herbalist, and her brother Miacht whose grave supplied the herbs
  • The craftsmen: Goibniu, Creidhne, and Luchtaine
  • Lugh, long-armed poet, historian, physician, cupbearer, craftsman, and builder
  • Nuadu of the silver hand
  • Oghma, warrior, poet, scholar 
  • the Morrigan, three-formed warrior with Babd and Macha
  • and all those I cannot yet name
I call to you with an open heart.
The petition:
Oh, Tuatha Dé Dannan, I humbly call to ask that you accept me as a student on your path for the next year.  Aide me while I learn your ways, and your legends, and Gaeilge (Irish).  To you, I will make regular offerings, and honor you as I do now at Lá Bealtaine, Lá Lúnasa, and Oíche Shamhna.   
I'm thinking that I'll offer up daily prayers and weekly offerings.  The upcoming year is kind of an introductory year for me and the Tuatha Dé Danann, to see who I mesh with.  I will reevaluate my practice next year, and it will probably be much more simple, but this year I have the time and inclination to learn.  I wouldn't generally recommend you make promises to so many gods at once, I'm a little nervous about doing it myself, but I got this kind of gut feeling that it was rude to leave anyone out, and I'm of the mind that you should never be rude to the gods if you can help it.

Make an offering to the Tuatha Dé Danann, this is where the cake comes in.  Take the cake and hold it over your head
Honored children of Danu, I offer you my hospitality, and thank you for your blessings.
Place your offering on the shrine/altar, leave it there overnight.

Honor

I have separate commitments to Manannán and Hecate, that I need to keep.  Separate prayers and offerings to each, and that's what follows here.  I have special candles for each, they will each get their own piece of cake and their own prayers.

To Hecate:

Light her candle, place her offering, and say:
Hecate, three-formed goddess of the crossroads, I do hereby renew my vows to you.  I will endeavor to fulfill all the promises I have made you in the past.  I will honor you with prayer and offerings every day.  I will travel deeper on the tree-shaded, mist-filled path of magic and sorcery.  I give myself over to you, Hecate, with a full heart and the knowledge of what that promise means.

To Manannán:

Light his candle, place his offering, and say:
Manannán, son of the Sea, magician, trickster, gate-keeper, claimant of my ownself.  I do hereby renew my vows to you.  I will continue to learn and follow your ways as best I can.  I will honor you with prayer and offerings daily.  And will trust in your guidance as I travel deeper on this tree-shaded, mist-filled path of magic and sorcery.  One day, I know, my path will take me to your sea.

Prayer

Say a prayer in honor of Brigid and her day:

Bringer of spring and heat and flame
Chase away the chill of winter's frost.
Brigid!  Poetess, craftswoman, guardian of
The sacred fire, may your holy flame 
Be kindled in my soul and warm me
As the earth does warm with spring.
May others also find your flame, and it be
Their spark of light in their darkness.
Fill me with words, and the skill and
Confidence to craft those words
Into something beautiful.
May the Blessings of this day last until year 
Turns and the blessings are renewed.

Divination

I end all my rituals (unless I am utterly exhausted, which does happen) with divination.  I've been reading tarot cards since I was a child, so that's how I'm going to end this ritual.  Generally, I ask to see a kind of overview of the next step my life will take.  That strikes me as an appropriate way to finish my day and ritual for Lá Fhéile Bríde (Imbolc).

1I borrowed this ritual from here. I just liked it so much, you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment